Table of Contents
UNIT I: INTRODUCTION.
1. Our Natural Resources.
2. A History of Conservation in the United States.
3. Concepts in Natural Resources Management.
Case Study: Eyes in the Night: The Debate over Wolf Reintroduction in North America.
UNIT II: SOIL AND LAND RESOURCES.
4. Soil Characteristics.
5. Soil Erosion.
6. Controlling Erosion on the Farm.
7. Nonfarm Erosion Control.
8. Rangeland Management.
9. Landfills and Solid Waste Management.
10. Wetland Preservation and Management.
11. Land-Use Planning.
12. Careers in Soil Management.
Case Study: Let’s Go to the Beach.
UNIT III: WATER AND AIR RESOURCES.
13. Water Supply and Water Users.
14. Water Pollution.
15. Water Purification and Wastewater Treatment.
16. Water-Use Planning.
17. Air and Air Quality.
18. Water for Transportation.
19. Careers in Water and Air Management.
Case Study: The Case of the Pesky Mollusk.
UNIT IV: FOREST RESOURCES.
20. Our Forests and Their Products.
21. Woodland Management.
22. Forest Enemies and Their Control.
24. Careers in Forestry.
Case Study: Hey, Don’t Eat My Trees!
UNIT V: FISH AND WILDLIFE RESOURCES.
25. Fish and Wildlife in America.
26. Game Management.
27. Marine Fisheries Management.
28. Freshwater Fisheries Management.
29. Careers in Fish and Wildlife.
Case Study: The Whaling Controversy.
UNIT VI: OUTDOOR RECREATION RESOURCES.
30. Recreation on Public Lands and Waters.
31. Outdoor Safety.
32. Careers in Outdoor Recreation.
Case Study: Of Forests and Foes.
UNIT VII: ENERGY, MINERAL, AND METAL RESOURCES.
33. Fossil Fuels.
34. Alternative Energy Sources Management.
35. Metals and Minerals.
36. Careers in Energy, Mineral, and Metal Resources.
Case Study: To Regulate or Not to Regulate—That is the Question.
UNIT VIII: ADVANCED CONCEPTS.
37. Advanced Concepts in Natural Resources Management.
Case Study: My Exotic Gypsy Moths.
Appendix A: Web Sites Dealing With Natural Resources and Environmental Management.
Appendix B: Safety Certification Programs.
Appendix C: Safety in the School and Workplace.
Appendix D: Supervised Agricultural Experiences.
Appendix E: Additional Case Studies.