Foundations of Astronomy
- AUTHORS: Michael A. Seeds; Dana Backman
- ISBN-13: 9781305079151
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 688 Pages Hardcover
- 13th Edition | Previous Editions: 2013
- ©2016 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Fascinating, engaging, and extremely visual, FOUNDATIONS OF ASTRONOMY, Thirteenth Edition, emphasizes the scientific method throughout as it guides students to answer two fundamental questions: What are we? And how do we know? In addition to exploring the newest developments and latest discoveries in the exciting field of astronomy, authors Michael Seeds and Dana Backman discuss the interplay between evidence and hypothesis, providing both factual information and a conceptual framework for understanding the logic of science.
Part 1: THE SKY.
1. Here and Now.
2. A User's Guide to the Sky.
3. Moon Phases and Eclipses.
4. Origins of Modern Astronomy.
6. Light and Telescopes.
Part 2: THE STARS.
7. Atoms and Spectra.
8. The Sun.
9. The Family of Stars.
10. The Interstellar Medium.
11. Formation and Structure of Stars.
12. Stellar Evolution.
13. Deaths of Stars.
14. Neutron Stars and Black Holes.
Part 3: GALAXIES AND THE UNIVERSE.
15. The Milky Way Galaxy.
17. Supermassive Black Holes and Active Galaxies.
18. Modern Cosmology.
Part 4: THE SOLAR SYSTEM.
19. Origin of the Solar System and Extrasolar Planets.
20. Earth: The Active Planet.
21. The Moon and Mercury.
22. Venus and Mars.
23. Jupiter and Saturn.
24. Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, and the Kuiper Belt.
25. Meteorites, Asteroids, and Comets.
Part 5: LIFE.
Appendix A: Scientific Units and Astronomical Data.
Appendix B: Star Charts.