Table of Contents
PART I: THE ECONOMIC BASIS FOR GOVERNMENT ACTIVITY.
1. Individuals and Government.
2. Efficiency, Markets, and Governments.
3. Externalities and Government Policy.
4. Public Goods.
5. Public Choice and the Political Process.
PART II: GOVERNMENT EXPENDITURES AND POLICY IN THE UNITED STATES: SELECTED ISSUES.
6. Cost-Benefit Analysis and Government Investments.
7. Government Subsidies and Income Support for the Poor.
8. Social Security and Social Insurance.
9. Government and Health Care.
PART III: FINANCING GOVERNMENT EXPENDITURES.
10. Introduction to Government Finance.
11. Taxation, Prices, Efficiency, and the Distribution of Income.
12. Budget Balance and Government Debt.
PART IV: TAXATION: THEORY AND STRUCTURE.
13. The Theory of Income Taxation.
14. Taxation of Personal Income in the United States.
15. Taxation of Corporate Income.
16. Taxes on Consumption and Sales.
17. Taxes on Wealth, Property, and Estates.
PART V: STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT FINANCE.
18. Fiscal Federalism and State and Local Government Finance.