Firefighter Safety and Survival
- AUTHOR: Don Zimmerman
- ISBN-13: 9781111306601
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 368 Pages Paperback
- 1st Edition
- ©2012 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
FIREFIGHTER SAFETY AND SURVIVAL introduces and explains the history and principles of the 16 Firefighter Life Safety Initiatives. This text was developed using the Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education (FESHE) outcomes and outlines from the Firefighter Safety and Survival model curriculum. Firefighter Safety and Survival provides examples of situations from the fire service, as well as other high-risk industries, describes the incident, and then explains how it is applicable to the specific Initiative and what can be done to stay safe in similar situations.
1. Defining a Cultural Change.
2. Enhancing Accountability.
3. Applying Risk Management Techniques.
4. Eliminating Unsafe Acts.
5. Implementing Training and Certification Standards.
6. Developing Medical and Fitness Standards.
7. Creating a Research Agenda.
8. Utilizing Available Technology.
9. Investigating Fatalities, Injuries, and Near Misses.
10. Blending Grants and Safety.
11. Establishing Response Standards.
12. Examining Response to Violent Incidents.
13. Providing Emotional Support.
14. Enabling Public Education.
15. Advocating Residential Fire Sprinklers.
16. Engineering Safety into Equipment.
Appendix A: Sample Policies.