Table of Contents
Part III: EARLY MODERN EUROPE: FROM RENAISSANCE TO ENLIGHTENMENT 1350–1789.
13. The Renaissance: Transition to the Modern Age.
14. The Reformation: The Shattering of Christian Unity.
15. European Expansion: Economic and Social Transformations.
16. The Rise of Sovereignty: Transition to the Modern State.
17. The Scientific Revolution: The Universe Seen as a Mechanism.
18. The Age of Enlightenment: Reason and Reform.
Part IV: AN AGE OF REVOLUTION: LIBERAL, NATIONAL, INDUSTRIAL 1789–1848.
19. The French Revolution: The Affirmation of Liberty and Equality.
20. The Industrial Revolution: The Great Transformation.
21. Thought and Culture in the Early Nineteenth Century.
22. Revolution and Counterrevolution, 1815–1848.
Part V: AN AGE OF CONTRADICTION: PROGRESS AND BREAKDOWN 1848–1914.
23. Thought and Culture in the Mid-Nineteenth Century: Realism and Social Criticism.
24. The Surge of Nationalism: From Liberal to Extreme Nationalism.
25. The Industrial West: Responses to Modernization.
26. Imperialism: Western Global Dominance.
27. Modern Consciousness: New Views of Nature, Human Nature, and the Arts.
Part VI: WORLD WARS AND TOTALITARIANISM: THE WEST IN CRISIS 1914-1945.
28. World War I: The West in Despair.
29. An Era of Totalitarianism.
30. Thought and Culture in an Era of World Wars and Totalitarianism.
31. World War II: Western Civilization in the Balance.
Part VII: THE CONTEMPORARY WORLD.
32. Europe After World War II: Recovery and Realignment, 1945-1989.
33. The Troubled Present.