Table of Contents
PART I: DEVELOPING AWARENESS OF EMOTIONS.
1. Starting the Conversation About a Medical Diagnosis.
2. Recognizing the Initial Coping Styles.
3. Acknowledging Emotional Reactions.
4. Acknowledging and Confronting the Fear Factor.
5. Emotions and Healthcare Decision-Making.
PART II: Enhancing Coping Skills of Newly-Diagnosed Patients.
6. Helping Newly-Diagnosed Patients to Communicate with Healthcare Professionals.
7. Encouraging Patients to Gather Information.
8. Developing a Support Strategy with Patients.
9. Coping with Affects on Self Image.
10. Reconnecting with a Sense of Meaning.
11. Communicating with Family Members and Caregivers.
12. Creating a Vision for the Future.
13. When the Diagnosis Involves End-of-Life Issues.
PART III: TAKING CARE OF OURSELVES AS HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS.
14. Recognizing Our Own Emotions as Healthcare Professionals.