Contemporary World History
- AUTHOR: William J. Duiker
- ISBN-13: 9781285447902
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 384 Pages Paperback
- 6th Edition | Previous Editions: 2010, 2007, 2005
- ©2015 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
This comprehensive and balanced history of the world in the twentieth century and into the new millennium chronicles the key events of the period and examines the underlying issues that have shaped the times. CONTEMPORARY WORLD HISTORY, 6th Edition, takes a global approach to the subject while doing justice to the distinctive character of individual civilizations and regions. Author William Duiker integrates political, economic, social, and cultural history, creating a chronologically ordered synthesis that gives students the true flavor of the most decisive moments in recent world history. In addition, Duiker's own photographs and selection of primary source documents are especially effective in illustrating key points in the narrative. The popular Film & History feature examines several films, presenting a brief analysis of each film's plot as well as its historical significance, value, and accuracy.
Part I: NEW WORLD IN THE MAKING.
1. The Rise of Industrial Society in the West.
2. The High Tide of Imperialism: Africa and Asia in an Era of Western Dominance.
3. Shadows over the Pacific: East Asia Under Challenge.
Part II: CULTURES IN COLLISION.
4. War and Revolution: World War I and Its Aftermath.
5. Nationalism, Revolution, and Dictatorship: Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America from 1919 to 1939.
6. The Crisis Deepens: The Outbreak of World War II.
Part III: ACROSS THE IDEOLOGICAL DIVIDE.
7. East and West in the Grip of the Cold War.
8. The United States, Canada, and Latin America.
9. Brave New World: The Rise and Fall of Communism in the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe.
10. Postwar Europe: On the Path to Unity?
11. Toward the Pacific Century? Japan and the Little Tigers.
Part IV: THIRD WORLD RISING.
12. The East Is Red: China Under Communism.
13. Nationalism Triumphant: The Emergence of Independent States in South and Southeast Asia.
14. Emerging Africa.
15. Ferment in the Middle East.
Part V: THE NEW MILLENNIUM.
16. Constructing a New World Order.