Music Listening Today
- AUTHORS: Charles Hoffer; Darrell Bailey
- ISBN-13: 9781285857749
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 448 Pages Paperback
- 6th Edition
- ©2016 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Brief, approachable, and modular, best-selling MUSIC LISTENING TODAY, 6e delivers a complete course solution that develops students' listening skills, providing them with the chronological framework they need to understand and appreciate different styles, forms, and genres of music. It takes students on a journey through the history of music from the early Western period to the present day, teaching them how to listen as they go. Carefully chosen for their teachability, dozens of musical selections cover a range of styles and include music students will easily recognize. All musical selections are available online in streaming form in MindTap and as downloads. In addition, Active Listening Guides found in MindTap teach listening skills via highly visual, graphical representations of the music's progress and are accompanied by quizzes and additional commentary. Other MindTap tools provide access to a complete eBook, interactive quizzes, YouTube videos, flashcards, and more.
Part I: THE NATURE OF MUSIC.
1. Music Listening and You.
3. Melody and Harmony.
4. Dynamics, Timbre, and Organization.
5. Orchestral Instruments.
6. Other Musical Instruments.
Part II: EARLY, MEDIEVAL, AND RENAISSANCE MUSIC.
7. Early Western Music.
8. Medieval Music.
9. Renaissance Music.
Part III: BAROQUE MUSIC.
10. The Baroque Period.
11. Oratorio and Cantata.
12. Opera in the Baroque.
13. Baroque Instrumental Music: Suite and Sonata.
14. Baroque Instrumental Music: Concerto and Fugue.
Part IV: CLASSICAL MUSIC.
15. Classicism and Classical Music.
16. Sonata Form.
17. The Concerto.
18. Classical Opera.
19. Chamber Music.
20. Piano Sonatas.
21. The Symphony and Beethoven.
Part V: ROMANTIC MUSIC.
22. Romance and Romanticism.
23. Early Romantic Music.
24. Romantic Piano Music.
25. Program and Ballet Music.
26. Romantic Opera.
27. Late Romantic Music.
Part VI: TWENTIETH-CENTURY MUSIC AND BEYOND.
29. Music in the Twentieth Century and Beyond.
30. Impressionism and Post-Romanticism.
31. The Mainstream.
32. Expressionism and Primitivism.
33. Neoclassicism and Tone Row Music.
34. New Sounds and New Techniques.
PART VII: MUSIC IN THE UNITED STATES.
35. American Music before 1920.
36. Concert Music since 1920.
37. Popular Music and Jazz to 1950.
38. Popular Music since 1950.
39. Music for Stage and Film.
PART VIII: Music around the World.
40. Folk and Ethnic Music.
41. Folk Music of Europe and the Americas.
42. Music of Africa and the Middle East.
43. Music of Asia.
Listening Guides Indexed by Composer.
Index of Composer Biographies.