An Illustrated Guide to Pruning
- AUTHOR: Dr. Edward F. Gilman
- ISBN-13: 9781111307301
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 352 Pages Paperback
- 3rd Edition | Previous Editions: 2002, 1997
- ©2012 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Well written and easy to understand, An ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO PRUNING, Third Edition is filled with updated illustrations, photographs, and examples designed to help readers understand and implement the appropriate pruning practices that are vital to developing sustainable structure in the first 25 years of a tree's life. With coverage of numerous different tree species as well as information about the challenges associated with pruning such as disease prevention, root pruning, mature tree pruning, and restoration following storms, students will be prepared to identify and understand good tree structure and pruning practices. Filled with simple tables, lists, and strategies, this completely updated guide to pruning makes it easy to teach the presented pruning techniques in accordance with nationally recognized ANSI A-300 standards.
1. Introduction to Pruning.
2. Plant Selection, Placement, and Management: The Best Way to Minimize Pruning Needs.
3. Tree Structure.
4. Tree Biology.
5. Pruning Cuts.
6. Pruning Tools.
7. When to Prune.
8. Nursery Shade Tree Production Pruning: Developing the Trunk and Leader.
9. Nursery Shade Tree Production Pruning: Developing the Crown.
10. Developing and Maintaining Special Forms.
11. Structural Pruning of Shade Trees in the Landscape: Strategies.
12. Structural Pruning of Shade Trees in the Landscape: Execution
13. Pruning Types on Established Trees.
14. Mature and Storm Damaged Trees.
15. Maintaining Special Trees and Sites.
16. Root Pruning.
17. Standards and Specifications.
18. Shrub Pruning.