- AUTHORS: Larry J. Siegel; Clemens Bartollas
- ISBN-13: 9781305261082
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 448 Pages Paperback
- 3rd Edition | Previous Editions: 2014
- ©2016 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
CORRECTIONS TODAY, 3rd Edition, is a briefer, visual, paperback alternative to hardback Introduction to Corrections texts, ideal for instructors who are looking for course materials that emphasize real-world concepts and applications in their Corrections courses. This innovative text examines the field of corrections through the lens of students who are giving serious thought to a career in the field or are working in corrections while seeking an advanced degree in order to be promoted or switch job paths. CORRECTIONS TODAY, 3rd Edition, offers a practical, engaging, career-focused, and thoroughly authoritative introduction to corrections.
Part I: WHY DO WE PUNISH?
1. The Correctional System.
Part II: HOW DO WE PUNISH?
2. Sentencing and the Correctional Process.
Part III: HOW DO WE CORRECT IN THE COMMUNITY?
3. Community Corrections: Diversion and Probation.
4. Intermediate Sanctions.
Part IV: WHERE DO WE PUNISH?
5. The Jail: Detention and Short-Term Confinement.
6. Correctional Institutions.
7. The Prison Experience: Males.
8. The Prison Experience: Females.
9. Prisoners' Rights.
Part V: HOW DO WE REHABILITATE?
10. Correctional Programs and Services.
11. Parole and Release to the Community.
Part VI: WHAT ARE SPECIAL NEEDS POPULATIONS?
12. Special Prison Populations.
13. Capital Punishment and the Death Row Inmate.
14. The Juvenile Offender.
Part VII: WHAT IS THE FUTURE OF CORRECTIONS?
15. Today's Corrections Professional: Characteristics, Challenges, and Opportunities.