Introduction to Food Science and Food Systems
- AUTHORS: Rick Parker, PhD.; Miriah Pace
- ISBN-13: 9781435489394
- 640 Pages Hardcover
- 2nd Edition | Previous Editions: 2003
- ©2017 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Now in full-color, INTRODUCTION TO FOOD SCIENCE AND FOOD SYSTEMS, 2nd Edition explores the foundations of the food industry, from nutrition and chemistry to processing and safety, and delves into some of the most pressing foodborne issues of our day. Discussions of current topics and trends center on genetically engineered foods, environmental concerns and sustainability, food needs of the world, the impacts of food on health, and more. Designed with future agricultural professionals in mind, INTRODUCTION TO FOOD SCIENCE AND FOOD SYSTEMS, 2nd Edition engages students with colorful photos, charts, graphs and illustrations, and tests their understanding of concepts with practical, hands-on activities in math, science, and other ag-related areas. Chapter content also correlates with National Agricultural Education Standards and FFA Career Development Events (CDEs) to prepare students for meaningful careers in the critically important agriscience industry.
Section 1: INTRODUCTION AND BACKGROUND.
1. Overview of Food Science.
2. Food System and Sustainability.
3. Chemistry of Foods.
4. Nutrition and Digestion.
5. Food Composition.
6. Quality Factors in Foods.
7. Unit Operations in Food Processing.
8. Food Deterioration.
Section 2: PRESERVATION.
11. Drying and Dehydration.
12. Radiant and Electrical Energy.
13. Fermentation, Microorganisms, and Biotechnology.
14. Food Chemistry.
Section 3: FOODS AND FOOD PRODUCTS.
18. Poultry and Eggs.
19. Fish and Shellfish.
20. Cereal Grains, Legumes, and Oilseeds.
21. Fruits and Vegetables.
22. Fats and Oils.
23. Candies and Confectionary.
Section 4: RELATED ISSUES.
25. Environmental Concerns and Processing.
26. Food Safety.
27. Regulations and Labeling.
28. World Food Needs.
29. Food and Health.
30. Careers in Food Science.
Appendix A: Chemistry Review.
Appendix B: Reference Tables.
Appendix C: Harvesting and Storing Fruits, Nuts, and Vegetables.