Table of Contents
Table of Contents:
I. The Colonial Heritage of Latin America.
1. Ancient America.
2. The Hispanic Background.
3. The Conquest of America.
4. The Economic Foundations of Colonial Life.
5. State, Church, and Society.
6. Colonial Brazil.
7. The Bourbon Reforms and Spanish America.
8. The Independence of Latin America.
II. Latin America in the Nineteenth Century.
9. Decolonization and the Search for National Identities, 1821-1870.
10. Race, Nation, and the Meaning of Freedom, 1821-1888.
11. The Triumph of Neocolonialism and the Liberal State, 1870-1900.