Comparative Politics: Structures and Choices
- AUTHOR: Lowell Barrington
- ISBN-13: 9781111341930
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 472 Pages Paperback
- 2nd Edition | Previous Editions: 2010
- ©2013 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
COMPARATIVE POLITICS: STRUCTURES AND CHOICES, offers a thematic framework that seamlessly connects concepts, theories, and country-specific information. In the Second Edition, an important set of concepts and theories is introduced and then applied to each of nine countries (the United Kingdom, Germany, Mexico, Brazil, Russia, China, India, Nigeria, and Iran) through the Topic in Countries (TIC) sections of each chapter. Students develop an understanding of how economic, cultural, identity, and political structures are linked to political systems and how individuals make political choices.
Table of Contents:
PART I: COMPARATIVE POLITICS: THEMES AND APPROACHES.
1. The Comparative Study of Politics.
PART II: ECONOMIC, CULTURAL, AND IDENTITY STRUCTURES.
2. Economic Class, Development, Systems, and Globalization.
3. Ideas as Structure: Political Culture and Ideology.
4. Identity Structure.
PART III: POLITICAL STRUCTURES.
5. Political Systems and Their Rules.
6. Legislatures and Executives.
7. Unelected Components of Government.
PART IV: ELITES, MASSES, AND POLITICAL DECISION MAKING.
8. Political Participation and Approaches to Linking Masses and Elites.
9. Political Parties and Electoral Systems.
10. Leadership and the Importance of Individuals in the Political Process.
PART V: USING STRUCTURES AND CHOICES TO UNDERSTAND POLITICAL OUTCOMES.
11. Regime Transitions.
12. Public Policy.
Epilogue Structured Choices and the Comparative Study of Politics.