Automotive Electricity & Electronics
- AUTHOR: Al Santini
- ISBN-13: 9781428399617
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 544 Pages Paperback
- 2nd Edition | Previous Editions: 2004
- ©2013 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Today's automotive technicians need a thorough understanding of electrical principles and electronic systems to service modern vehicles. With Automotive Electricity and Electronics, students can explore how automotive electronics work, the role they play in a vehicle's normal operation, how and why technicians use test instruments, and common diagnosis and repair procedures. The text provides a solid grounding in the fundamentals of electricity and electronics, giving students the foundation they need to master advanced topics such as batteries, starting and charging systems, ignitions, and electrical accessories. Practical testing procedures are covered as well, including the use of both common shop tools and highly technical equipment. The text also includes up-to-date coverage of current systems, tools, and J1930 terminology. A new hands-on Study Guide/Lab manual is available to help students apply what they learn and prepare for career success.
1. Safe working practices.
2. Working as an electricity/electronics technician.
3. Voltage, current and resistance.
8. Circuits that do work.
9. Analyzing series circuits.
10. Analyzing parallel circuits.
11. Series – parallel circuits.
12. Control circuits.
13. Diagnosing open circuits.
14. Diagnosing short circuits.
15. Servicing open and short circuits.
16. Digital storage oscilloscopes.
17. DSO trigger and slope.
18. Reading and interpreting a DSO pattern.
19. Using a current probe with a DSO.
20. Using the DSO's multiple trace capability.
21. Solid state devices.
22. Electronic control input devices.
23. Diagnosing and servicing electronic control input devices.
24. Integrated circuits as input devices.
25. Diagnosing and servicing IC's.
26. Oxygen sensors.
27. Diagnosing and servicing oxygen sensors.
28. Wiring diagram symbols.
29. Using the wiring diagram as a service tool.
30. Automotive batteries.
31. Diagnosing batteries.
32. Servicing batteries.
33. Starting system.
34. Solenoid shift starters.
35. Diagnosing and servicing solenoid shift starting systems.
36. Gear reduction starters.
37. Diagnosing gear reduction starters.
38. Starter controls.
39. Diagnosing starting controls.
40. Starting system servicing.
41. Charging system overview.
42. Field circuits.
43. Diagnosing and servicing the charging system.
44. Secondary ignition systems.
45. Servicing the secondary ignition system.
46. Primary ignition system.
47. Diagnosing and servicing the primary ignition systems.
48. Distributorless ignition circuits.
49. Diagnosing and servicing the secondary ignition system on a distributorless vehicle.
50. Distributorless primary ignition systems.
51. Diagnosing and servicing the primary circuit on a distributorless ignition system.
52. Coil on plug ignition systems.
53. Diagnosing and servicing the coil on plug ignition system.
54. Lighting circuits.
55. Diagnosing lighting circuits.
56. Defogger, horn and windshield wiper circuits.
57. Diagnosing horn and windshield wiper circuits.
58. Motor driven accessories.
59. Diagnosing motor driven accessories.