Criminal Justice in Action
- AUTHORS: Larry K. Gaines; Roger LeRoy Miller
- ISBN-13: 9781285458984
- 640 Pages Hardcover
- 8th Edition | Previous Editions: 2013, 2011, 2009
- ©2015 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
As riveting and current as today's headlines, CRIMINAL JUSTICE IN ACTION, Eighth Edition, is designed with today's busy students and instructors in mind. Concepts make sense to students, thanks to vivid straight-from-the-headlines vignettes at the beginning of every chapter and plentiful real-world examples throughout. Choosing what's important to remember is a snap with each chapter's numbered objectives, which are reinforced throughout the chapter as well as in the book's supplementary items. Thinking critically and writing become less intimidating for students with the guidance of practical writing activities. Reviewers praise the book's crisp, clear topic coverage as much as its engaging magazine-style design and captivating writing, which combine to draw students--even today's visual learners--into the material. Updated throughout, the Eighth Edition includes more material on victims, a stronger emphasis on domestic terrorism, a new emphasis on social media, and more.
Part I: THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.
1. Criminal Justice Today.
2. Causes of Crime.
3. Defining and Measuring Crime.
4. Inside Criminal Law.
Part II: THE POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
5. Law Enforcement Today.
6. Challenges to Effective Policing.
7. POLICE AND THE CONSTITUTION: RULES OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.
Part III: CRIMINAL COURTS.
8. Courts and the Quest for Justice.
9. Pretrial Procedures: The Adversary System in Action.
10. The Criminal Trail.
11. Punishment and Sentencing.
Part IV: CORRECTIONS.
12. Probation, Parole, and Community Corrections.
13. Prisons and Jails.
14. Behind Bars: The Life of an Inmate.
Part V: SPECIAL ISSUES.
15. The Juvenile Justice System.
16. Today's Challenges: Cyber Crime, White Collar Crime, and International Terrorism.