Table of Contents
Part I: MANAGEMENT, SUPERVISION, AND LEADERSHIP: AN OVERVIEW.
1. Management, Supervision and Leadership.
2. The Organization and Structure of American Policing.
3. The Police Mission: Getting the Job Done.
Part II: BASIC MANAGEMENT/PERSONAL SKILLS.
4. Communication: A Critical Management Skill.
5. Decision Making and Problem Solving.
6. Time Management: Minute by Minute.
Part III: MANAGERS AND THE SKILLS OF OTHERS.
7. Training and Beyond.
8. Promoting Growth and Development.
9. Motivation and Morale.
Part IV: MANAGING PROBLEMS.
10. Discipline and Problem Behaviors.
11. Complaints, Grievances and Conflict.
12. Stress and Related Hazards of the Job.
Part V: GETTING THE JOB DONE . . . THROUGH OTHERS.
13. Deploying Law Enforcement Resources and Improving Productivity.
14. Budgeting and Managing Costs Creatively.
15. Hiring Personnel and Dealing with Unions.
16. Measuring Performance: Assessment and Evaluation.
17. Challenges in Managing for the Future.