Soil Science and Management
- AUTHOR: Edward Plaster
- ISBN-13: 9780840024329
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 544 Pages Hardcover
- 6th Edition | Previous Editions: 2009, 2003, 1997
- ©2014 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Introduce a practical understanding of soil properties and the soil management techniques most important for the effective use of soils with SOIL SCIENCE AND MANAGEMENT, 6E. This non-technical, reader-friendly book details all aspects of effective soil usage, including management techniques, composition, fertility, erosion, conservation,and irrigation. These topics are integrated into a practical guide to help readers better understand and manage soil as a natural resource. This edition highlights horticultural uses of soil as well as the latest green methodologies in both agricultural and horticultural practice. New content reflects the most recent science and environmental issues related to soil use, conservation, and sustainability. Updates related to nutrient management and best practices, legal issues, and government programs are also included. A complete support package for class preparation, testing and review includes a new CourseMate website that extends learning with interactive resources to further students' understanding and skills.
1. The Importance of Soil.
2. Soil Origin and Development.
3. Soil Classification and Survey.
4. Physical Properties of Soil.
5. Life in the Soil.
6. Organic Matter.
7. Soil Water.
8. Water Conservation.
9. Drainage and Irrigation.
10. Soil Fertility.
11. Soil pH and Salinity.
12. Plant Nutrition.
13. Soil Sampling and Testing.
15. Organic Amendments.
16. Tillage and Cropping Systems.
17. Horticultural Uses of Soil.
18. Soil Conservation.
19. Urban Soil.
20. Government Agencies and Programs.
1. Some Basic Chemistry.
2. Soil Orders of the United States.
3. Soil Horizon Symbol Suffixes.
4. Land Evaluation.
5. Preferred Soil Characteristics for Selected Trees.