Get Writing: Sentences and Paragraphs
- AUTHOR: Mark Connelly
- ISBN-13: 9781111772161
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 560 Pages Paperback
- 3rd Edition | Previous Editions: 2010, 2006
- ©2014 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
GET WRITING: SENTENCES AND PARAGRAPHS is a flexible textbook that meets the needs of a variety of developmental writers including those in career and community as well as four-year schools, and those for whom English is a second language. GET WRITING gives students the opportunity to acquire skills and develop confidence in their own writing, by providing clear steps and strategies as well as practice opportunities. A colorful and engaging format helps students stay motivated and quickly grasp chapter content. Students can choose writing topics that relate to their own lives or chosen careers, with sample student, professional, and workplace models. GET WRITING promotes critical thinking skills by asking students to reflect on their choices throughout the writing process, and stresses the importance of evaluating, revising, and editing their writing.
PART I: GETTING STARTED.
1. Why Write?
2. The Writing Process.
PART II: DEVELOPING PARAGRAPHS.
3. Developing Topic Sentences and Controlling Ideas.
4. Supporting Topic Sentences with Details.
5. Developing Paragraphs Using Description.
6. Developing Paragraphs Using Narration.
7. Developing Paragraphs Using Example.
8. Developing Paragraphs Using Comparison and Contrast.
9. Developing Paragraphs Using Cause and Effect.
10. Toward the Essay.
11. Writing at Work.
PART III: WRITING SENTENCES.
12. Recognizing the Power of Words.
13. Writing Sentences.
14. Avoiding Fragments.
15. Building Sentences Using Coordination and Subordination.
16. Repairing Run-ons and Comma Splices.
17. Correcting Dangling and Misplaced Modifiers.
18. Understanding Parallelism.
PART IV: UNDERSTANDING GRAMMAR.
19. Subject-Verb Agreement.
20. Verb Tense, Mood, and Voice.
21. Pronoun Reference, Agreement, and Case.
22. Adjectives and Adverbs.
23. Using Prepositions.
PART V: USING PUNCTUATION AND MECHANICS.
24. Using Commas and Semicolons.
25. Using Other Marks of Punctuation/
26. Using Capitalization.
27. Correcting Spelling Errors.