Alternative Energy: Sources and Systems
- AUTHOR: Donald Steeby
- ISBN-13: 9781111037260
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 320 Pages Paperback
- 1st Edition
- ©2012 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
The skyrocketing demand for clean, abundant energy has resulted in a need for comprehensive information that can be used by builders, technicians, energy industry professionals, and anyone else wanting to learn about alternative forms of energy and their everyday uses. With a vast array of information available on the subject, Alternative Energy: Sources & Systems stands out from the crowd as an easy-to-read resource on current, mainstream technologies as well as those on the horizon. This book bridges the gap between overly simplistic information and high-level engineering materials. Instead, Alternative Energy: Sources & Systems serves as a comprehensive guide that explores solar, wind, and other sources, and the technology available to harness them. Readers will gain a better understanding of how these systems work as well as how they are put together. Check out our app, DEWALT® Mobile Pro™. This free app is a construction calculator with integrated reference materials and access to hundreds of additional calculations as add-ons. To learn more, visit dewalt.com/mobilepro.
Part I: SOLAR ENERGY: HARNESSING THE SUN'S POWER.
1. Introduction to Solar Energy.
2. How Thermal Storage works.
3. Applications for Solar Thermal Storage.
4. How Photovoltaic Panels work.
5. Applications for Photovoltaic Solar Panels.
Part II: WIND ENERGY: SETTING SAIL FOR A NEW POWER ALTERNATIVE.
6. Introduction to Wind Energy.
7. Considerations for Choosing a Wind Turbine.
8. Introduction to Large Scale Turbines.
Part III: GEOTHERMAL: USING THE EARTH TO HEAT AND COOL OUR WORLD.
9. How a Geothermal System Works.
10. Types and Configurations of Geothermal Loops.
11. Proper Sizing Procedures for Geothermal Applications.
12. Installation and Start-up of Geothermal Systems.
Part IV: BIOMASS: UTILIZING WOOD, CORN AND PELLETS AS HEATING FUELS.
13. Using Biomass as a Heating Source.
14. Applications for Biomass Burners.
Part V: FUTURE ENERGY SOURCES: A LOOK AT FUEL CELLS AND CHP (COMBINED HEAT AND POWER).
15. How Fuel Cells Work.
16. What is CHP?