- AUTHOR: Lena L. Deter
- ISBN-13: 9781435481725
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 784 Pages Paperback
- 1st Edition
- ©2011 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Written for medication aides and other assistive personnel, MEDICATION ADMINISTRATION prepares learners to safely and effectively perform medication administration in a variety of clinical settings while under the supervision of a licensed health care provider. The basic skills needed to observe, report, and record are stressed throughout with an emphasis on immediately reporting any change in an individual to the designated supervisor. All content is inclusive of the requirements of the National State Boards of Nursing model curriculum. Combined with the student workbook and Instructor Resources CD-ROM, this package allows instructors to teach the foundation of medication administration from one source while supplementing with individual state regulations and workplace policies.
About the author.
MODULE 1: ETHICAL AND LEGAL ASPECTS.
1. Introduction to Medication Administration.
2. Regulatory Issues.
3. Ethical and Legal Issues.
MODULE II: MEDICATION FUNDAMENTALS.
4. Introduction to Medications.
5. Medication Orders.
6. Principles of Medication Administration.
MODULE III. MEDICATION ADMINISTRATION.
7. Administration of Non-Parenteral Medications.
8. Administration of Oxygen.
9. Administration of Enemas.
10. Care and Use of Gastrostomy and Jejunostomy Tubes.
11. Administration of Epinephrine by Epipen.
MODULE IV: MEDICATIONS AND THEIR EFFECTS ON THE BODY.
12. Body Organizations and Systems.
13. Vitamins, Minerals and Herbs.
14. Topical Medications.
15. Eye and Ear Medications.
16. Psychotropic Medications.
17. Analgesics and Anesthetics.
18. Antiparkinsonian Medications, Anticonvulsants, and Medications for Treating Alzheimer's Disease.
19. Medications for Treating Infections.
20. Medications for Treating Cancer.
21. Medications for Treating Cardiovascular Disorders.
22. Medications for Treating Endocrine Disorders.
23. Medications for Treating Gastrointestinal Disorders.
24. Medications for Treating Musculoskeletal Disorders.
25. Medications for Treating Respiratory Disorder.
26. Medications for Treating Urinary Disorders.
27. Medications for Treating Reproductive Disorder.
MODULE V: COMMUNICATION AND DOCUMENTATION.
28. Role of the Unlicensed Assistive Personnel (UAP) in Medication Administration.
29. Transcription of Health Care Provider Orders.
MODULE VI: SAFETY.
30. Additional Considerations.
31. Poison Control.
MODULE VII: ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS.
32. Basic Math.
33. Vital Signs.
34. Care of Individuals with Epilepsy.
35. Substance Abuse.
Appendix A. Table of Authorities.
Appendix B. "Use Caution- Avoid Confusion.".
Appendix C. "Drugs That Should not be Crushed".
Appendix D. Suggested Readings and Resources.