Table of Contents
Part 1: THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.
1. Criminal Justice Today.
2. Causes of Crime.
3. Defining and Measuring Crime.
4. Inside Criminal Law.
Part 2: THE POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
5. Law Enforcement Today.
6. Challenges to Effective Policing.
7. Police and the Constitution: The Rules of Law Enforcement.
Part 3: CRIMINAL COURTS.
8. Courts and the Quest for Justice.
9. Pretrial Procedures: The Adversary System in Action.
10. The Criminal Trial.
11. Punishment and Sentencing.
Part 4: CORRECTIONS.
12. Probation and Community Corrections.
13. Prisons and Jails.
14. Behind Bars: The Life of an Inmate.
Part 5: SPECIAL ISSUES.
15. The Juvenile Justice System.
16. Homeland Security.
17. Cyber Crime and the Immediate Future of Criminal Justice.