- AUTHORS: David Rosenwasser; Jill Stephen
- ISBN-13: 9780495910084
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 496 Pages Paperback
- 6th Edition | Previous Editions: 2009, 2006, 2003
- ©2012 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
The popular, brief rhetoric that treats writing as thinking, WRITING ANALYTICALLY, Sixth Edition, offers a sequence of specific prompts that teach students across the curriculum how the process of analysis and synthesis is a vehicle for original and well-developed ideas. The book’s governing premise is that learning to write well means learning to use writing in order to think well. To that end, the strategies of this book describe thinking skills that employ writing. This book treats writing as a tool of thought--a means of undertaking sustained acts of inquiry and reflection.
Unit I: THE ANALYTICAL FRAME OF MIND: Introduction to Analytical Methods.
1. Introduction: Fourteen Short Takes on Writing and the Writing Process.
2. Toolkit of Analytical Methods I: Seeing Better, Seeing More.
3. Analysis: What It Is and What It Does.
4. Toolkit of Analytical Methods II: Going Deeper.
5. Writing About Reading: More Moves to Make with Written Texts.
6. Making Interpretations Plausible.
7. Making Common Topics More Analytical.
Unit II: WRITING ANALYTICAL PAPERS: HOW TO USE EVIDENCE, EVOLVE CLAIMS, AND CONVERSE WITH SOURCES.
8. Reasoning From Evidence To Claims.
9. Analyzing Arguments.
10. Using Evidence to Build a Paper: 10 on 1.
11. Making a Thesis Evolve.
12. Recognizing and Fixing Weak Thesis Statements.
13. Using Sources Analytically: The Conversation Model.
14. Finding, Citing, and Integrating Sources.
Unit III: MATTERS OF FORM: THE SHAPES THAT THOUGHT TAKES.
15. Forms and Formats Across the Curriculum.
16. Introductions and Conclusions Across the Curriculum.
17. Revising for Style: Word Choice.
18. Revising for Style: The Rhetoric of the Sentence.
19.Revising for Correctness: Grammar and Punctuation.