Criminal Justice in Action
- AUTHORS: Larry K. Gaines; Roger LeRoy Miller
- ISBN-13: 9781305633759
- 672 Pages Hardcover
- 9th Edition | Previous Editions: 2015
- ©2017 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
As riveting and current as today's headlines, CRIMINAL JUSTICE IN ACTION, Ninth Edition, is designed with today's busy students and instructors in mind. Concepts make sense to students, thanks to vivid straight-from-the-headlines vignettes at the beginning of every chapter and plentiful real-world examples throughout the book. Choosing what's important to remember is a snap with each chapter's numbered objectives, which are reinforced throughout the chapter as well as in the book's supplementary items. Thinking critically and writing become less intimidating for students with the guidance of practical writing activities. Reviewers praise the book's crisp, clear topic coverage as well as its engaging magazine-style design and captivating writing, which combine to draw students into the material. And, with this edition's expanded coverage of ethics, policy, and discretion, students gain a panoramic view of key criminal justice issues that goes far beyond learning facts and the law. What’s more, the MindTap® that accompanies this text helps students practice and master techniques and key concepts while engaging them with video cases, career scenarios, visual summaries, and more.
Part I: THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM.
1. Criminal Justice Today.
2. Causes of Crime.
3. The Crime Picture: Offenders and Victims.
4. Inside Criminal Law.
Part II: THE POLICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT.
5. Law Enforcement Today.
6. Problems and Solutions in Modern Policing.
7. Police and the Constitution: The Rules of Law Enforcement
Part III: CRIMINAL COURTS.
8. Courts and the Quest for Justice.
9. Pretrial Procedures: The Adversary System in Action.
10. The Criminal Trial.
11. Punishment and Sentencing.
Part IV: CORRECTIONS.
12. Probation, Parole, and Intermediate Sanctions.
13. Prisons and Jails.
14. The Prison Experience and Prisoner Reentry.
Part V: SPECIAL ISSUES.
15. The Juvenile Justice System.
16. Today's Challenges: Security vs. Liberty, Cyber Crime, and White Collar Crime.
Choose the textbook packaged with the resources that best meet your course and student needs. Contact your Cengage Learning representative for more information.