Automotive Service: Inspection, Maintenance, Repair
- AUTHOR: Tim Gilles
- ISBN-13: 9781305110595
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 1632 Pages Hardcover
- 5th Edition | Previous Editions: 2012
- ©2016 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Featuring three new chapters on Hybrid and Electric vehicles, this fully updated 5th edition of AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE: INSPECTION, MAINTENANCE, REPAIR helps students develop the knowledge and skills they need to be successful in a range of automotive careers. Known for its clear explanations and high quality art, this best-selling text covers all eight major course areas of automotive technology, from an introduction to shop management to theories of vehicle systems operations with step-by-step procedures for trouble shooting and repair. Technically reviewed by instructors and industry experts and reflecting the latest NATEF Automobile Program Standards, this edition is ideal for students enrolled in NATEF-accredited programs.
SECTION I: THE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY.
1. Introduction to the Automobile.
2. Automotive Careers and Technician Certification.
SECTION II: SHOP PROCEDURES, SAFETY, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT.
3. Shop Safety.
4. Shop Management, Service Records, and Parts.
5. Locating Service Information and Specifications.
6. Measuring Tools and Systems.
7. Hardware, Fasteners, Drills, and Thread Repair.
8. Shop Tools.
9. General Shop Equipment.
10. Cleaning Equipment and Methods.
11. Lifting Equipment and Air Compressors.
SECTION III: VEHICLE INSPECTION (Lubrication/Safety Check).
12. Engine Lubrication.
13. Underhood and Body Inspection (Car on Ground).
14. Undercar Inspection and Service.
SECTION IV: ENGINE OPERATION AND SERVICE.
15. Introduction to the Engine.
16. Engine Classifications and Advanced Transportation Technologies.
17. Engine Size and Measurements.
18. Engine Upper End.
19. Engine Lower End and Lubrication System Theory.
SECTION V: COOLING SYSTEM, BELTS, HOSES, AND PLUMBING
20. Cooling System Theory.
21. Cooling System Service.
22. Automotive Belts.
23. Automotive Hoses.
24. Automotive Plumbing: Tubing and Pipe.
SECTION VI: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM THEORY AND SERVICE.
25. Basic Electrical System Theory and Repairs.
26. Battery Fundamentals.
27. Battery Service.
28. Starting System Fundamentals.
29. Starting System Service.
30. Charging System Fundamentals.
31. Charging System Service.
32. Lighting and Wiring Fundamentals.
33. Lighting and Wiring Service.
34. Safety, Security, Comfort Systems, and Electrical Accessories.
SECTION VII: HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING.
35. Heating and Air Conditioning Fundamentals.
36. Heating and Air Conditioning Service.
SECTION VIII: ENGINE PERFORMANCE DIAGNOSIS: THEORY AND SERVICE.
37. Ignition System Fundamentals.
38. Ignition System Service.
39. Fuels and Alternative Fuels.
40. Fuel System Fundamentals.
41. Fuel System Service.
42. Intake and Exhaust Systems, Turbochargers and Superchargers.
43. Emission Control System Fundamentals.
44. Emission Control System Service.
45. Electronics and Computer Systems Fundamentals.
46. Electronics and Computer Systems Service.
47. Advanced Emissions and On-board Diagnostics (ODB).
48. Diagnosing Engine Performance Problems.
SECTION IX: AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE SERVICE AND REPAIR.
49. Diagnosing Engine Mechanical Problems.
50. Engine Removal and Disassembly.
51. Engine Sealing, Gaskets, Fastener Torque.
52. Engine Diagnosis and Service: Cylinder Head and Valvetrain.
53. Engine Diagnosis and Service: Block, Crankshaft, Bearings, and Lubrication System.
54. Engine Diagnosis and Service: Piston, Piston Rings, Connecting Rod, Engine Balancing.
55. Ordering Parts, Short and Long Blocks, Engine Assembly.
56. Engine Installation, Break in, and In-Chassis Repairs.
SECTION X: BRAKES AND TIRES.
57. Brake Fundamentals.
58. Brakes Service.
59. Anti-lock Brakes – Traction and Stability Control.
60. Bearings, Seals, and Greases.
61. Tire and Wheel Theory.
62. Tire and Wheel Service.
SECTION XI: SUSPENSION, STEERING, ALIGNMENT.
63. Suspension Fundamentals.
64. Suspension System Service.
65. Steering Fundamentals.
66. Steering Service.
67. Wheel Alignment Fundamentals.
68. Wheel Alignment Service.
SECTION XII: DRIVE TRAIN.
69. Clutch Fundamentals.
70. Clutch Diagnosis and Service.
71. Manual Transmission Fundamentals.
72. Manual Transmission Diagnosis and Repair.
73. Automatic Transmission Fundamentals.
74. Automatic Transmission Diagnosis and Service.
75. Driveline Operation.
76. Driveline Diagnosis and Service.
77. Front Wheel Drive (Transaxle and CV Joints) Fundamentals.
78. Front Wheel Drive (Transaxle and CV Joints) Service .
79. Driveline Vibration.
SECTION XIII: HYBRID AND ELECTRIC VEHICLES.
80. Hybrid Electric Vehicle Fundamentals.
81. Hybrid Vehicle Safety and Service.
82. New Vehicle Technologies: Battery and Fuel Cell Electric and Hydraulic Hybrid.