Table of Contents
Part I: MANAGEMENT, SUPERVISION, AND LEADERSHIP IN LAW ENFORCEMENT: AN OVERVIEW.
1. The Organization and Mission of Policing in the United States.
2. Management, Supervision, and Leadership in Law Enforcement.
Part II: LEADERSHIP FUNDAMENTALS.
3. Communication: A Critical Management Skill.
4. Decision Making and Problem Solving as a Manager and Leader.
5. Time Management: Minute by Minute.
Part III: BUILDING CAPACITY.
6. Staffing Your Agency: Hiring, Training, and Professional Learning.
7. Promoting Growth and Development.
8. Motivation and Morale.
Part IV: LEADERSHIP CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES.
9. Collaborating with Labor Management and Handling Complaints and Grievances.
10. Discipline and Problem Behaviors.
11. Stress and Related Hazards of the Job.
Part V: LEADING AND MANAGING AN ORGANIZATION.
12. Deploying Law Enforcement Resources and Improving Productivity.
13. Budgeting and Managing Costs Creatively in the New Norm.
14. Measuring Performance: Assessment and Evaluation.
Part VI: WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?
15. Learning from the Past; Looking to the Future.