- AUTHOR: Marie A. Boyle
- ISBN-13: 9781305110427
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 608 Pages Paperback
- 9th Edition | Previous Editions: 2013
- ©2016 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Help students become smarter consumers with PERSONAL NUTRITION, Ninth Edition. Engaging and accessible, Boyle provides a solid grounding in fundamental nutritional principles and how to apply them to make informed, healthy choices. The Ninth Edition is thoroughly updated to reflect the latest research, recommendations, and current trends and issues. It also features new and revised illustrations, photographs, examples, and learning objectives to make material even more timely, relevant, and compelling for today's learners. The text is also now supported by MindTap, the most engaging and customizable online solution in nutrition that combines readings, multimedia, assessments, activities, and access to Diet & Wellness Plus. Overall, Boyle offers meaningful context, real-world examples, and practical advice to help students make smart decisions regarding their own nutrition and health.
1. The Basics of Understanding Nutrition.
Spotlight: How Do You Tell If It's Nutrition Fact or Nutrition Fiction?
2. The Pursuit of a Healthy Diet.
Spotlight: A Tapestry of Cultures and Cuisines.
3. Anatomy for Nutrition's Sake.
Spotlight: Gut Feelings—Common Digestive Problems.
4. The Carbohydrates: Sugar, Starch, and Fiber.
Spotlight: Sweet Talk—Alternatives to Sugar.
5. The Lipids: Fats and Oils.
Spotlight: Diet and Heart Disease.
6. The Proteins and Amino Acids.
Spotlight: Vegetarian Eating Patterns.
7. The Vitamins: A Functional Approach.
Spotlight: Nutrition and Cancer Prevention.
8. The Minerals and Water: A Functional Approach.
Spotlight: Osteoporosis—The Silent Stalker of the Bones.
9. Impact of Fluids and Beverages on Nutritional Health.
Spotlight: Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder.
10. Weight Management.
Spotlight: The Eating Disorders.
11. Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Fitness.
Spotlight: Athletes and Supplements—Help or Hype?
12. The Life Cycle: Conception through the Later Years.
Spotlight: Addressing Weight Problems in Children and Adolescents.
13. Food Safety and the Global Food Supply.
Spotlight: Global Food Insecurity.
Appendix A: Aids to Calculations and Food Exchange Lists for Diabetes.
Appendix B: Canadian Nutrition and Physical Activity Guidelines.
Appendix C: Chapter Notes.
Appendix D: Answers to Study Card Questions.
Appendix E: Table of Food Composition.
Study Cards and Reference Cards.