Human Physiology: From Cells to Systems
- AUTHOR: Lauralee Sherwood
- ISBN-13: 9781111577438
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 928 Pages Hardcover
- 8th Edition | Previous Editions: 2010, 2007, 2004
- ©2013 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Organized around the central theme of homeostasis, HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY helps students understand how each component of the course depends on the others and appreciate the integrated functioning of the human body. Author Lauralee Sherwood uses clear straightforward language, analogies, and frequent references to everyday experiences to help students learn and relate to the physiology concepts. The updated art program and new digital resources—including robust 3D animations—enable students to visualize important concepts and processes. By focusing on the core principles and sharing enthusiasm for the subject matter, Sherwood provides a solid foundation for future courses and careers in the health profession.
1. Introduction to Physiology and Homeostasis.
2. Cell Physiology.
3. The Plasma Membrane and Membrane Potential.
4. Principles of Neural and Hormonal Communication.
5. The Central Nervous System.
6. The Peripheral Nervous System: Afferent Division; Special Senses.
7. The Peripheral Nervous System: Efferent Division.
8. Muscle Physiology.
9. Cardiac Physiology.
10. The Blood Vessels and Blood Pressure.
11. The Blood.
12. Body Defenses.
13. The Respiratory System.
14. The Urinary System.
15. Fluid and Acid–Base Balance.
16. The Digestive System.
17. Energy Balance and Temperature Regulation.
18. Principles of Endocrinology; The Central Endocrine Glands.
19. The Peripheral Endocrine Glands.
20. The Reproductive System.
Appendix. A Review of Chemical Principles.
Appendix. Text References to Exercise Physiology.
Appendix. Answers to Check Your Understanding, End-of-Chapter Objective Questions, Quantitative Exercises, Points to Ponder, and Clinical Considerations.