Introduction to Health Care
- AUTHORS: Dakota Mitchell; Lee Haroun
- ISBN-13: 9781305574779
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 624 Pages Paperback
- 4th Edition | Previous Editions: 2012
- ©2017 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH CARE, Fourth Edition, provides an easy-to-read introduction to the foundational skills necessary for a range of health care professions. This trusted text offers a comprehensive, yet highly accessible survey of both soft skills and basic clinical skills for those entering health care training programs or considering a career in health care. To prepare readers for the realities of modern practice, the authors emphasize core competencies required by all health care professions, including communication, infection control, and professionalism. The text features a strong focus on developing critical thinking skills ("thinking like a health care professional") through a five-step problem-solving model that includes assessing a situation, considering alternatives, choosing an appropriate alternative, evaluating the results, and revising as needed. This unique approach makes INTRODUCTION TO HEALTH CARE, Fourth Edition, an ideal resource to help readers transition from simple memorization to effective application of professional skills in a real-world setting.
Part I: HEALTH CARE TODAY.
1. Your Career in Health Care.
2. Current Health Care Systems and Trends.
3. Ethical and Legal Responsibilities.
Part II: THE LANGUAGE OF HEALTHCARE.
4. Medical Terminology.
5. Medical Math.
Part III: THE HUMAN BODY.
6. Organization of the Human Body.
7. Structure and Function of the Human Body.
8. Growth and Development.
Part IV: PERSONAL AND WORKPLACE SAFETY.
9. Body Mechanics.
10. Infection Control.
11. Environmental Safety.
Part V: BEHAVIORS FOR SUCCESS.
12. Lifestyle Management.
14. Lifelong Learning.
Part VI: COMMUNICATION IN THE HEALTH CARE SETTING.
15. The Patient as an Individual.
16. The Communication Process.
17. Written Communication.
18. Computers and Technology in Health Care.
19. Documentation and Medical Records.
Part VII: HEALTH CARE SKILLS.
20. Physical Assessment.
21. Emergency Procedures.
Part VIII: BUSINESS OF CARING.
22. Controlling Health Care Costs.
23. Performance Improvement and Customer Service.
Part IX: SECURING AND MAINTAINING EMPLOYMENT.
24. Job Leads and the Résumé.
25. Interview, Portfolio, and Application.
26. Successful Employment Strategies.
Appendix 1: Health Care Professional Organizations.
Appendix 2: Useful Spanish Expressions for Health Care Professionals.