American Pageant, Volume 2
- AUTHORS: David M. Kennedy; Lizabeth Cohen
- ISBN-13: 9781305075924
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 656 Pages Paperback
- 16th Edition | Previous Editions: 2013
- ©2016 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
THE AMERICAN PAGEANT enjoys a reputation as one of the most popular, effective, and entertaining texts on American history. The colorful anecdotes, first-person quotations, and trademark wit bring American history to life. The 16th edition includes a major revision of Part Six (the period from 1945 to the present), reflecting recent scholarship and providing greater thematic coherence. The authors also condensed and consolidated material on the Wilson presidency and World War I (formerly Chapters 29 and 30) into a new single chapter. A new feature, “Contending Voices,” offers paired quotes from original historical sources, accompanied by questions that prompt students to think about conflicting perspectives on controversial subjects. Additional pedagogical aids make THE AMERICAN PAGEANT accessible to students: part openers and chapter-ending chronologies provide a context for the major periods in American history, while other features present additional primary sources, scholarly debates, and key historical figures for analysis. Available in the following options: THE AMERICAN PAGEANT, Sixteenth Edition (Chapters 1–41); Volume 1: To 1877 (Chapters 1–22); Volume 2: Since 1865 (Chapters 22–41).
22. The Ordeal of Reconstruction 1865−1877.
Part IV: FORGING AN INDUSTRIAL SOCIETY 1865−1909.
23. Political Paralysis in the Gilded Age 1869−1896.
24. Industry Comes of Age 1865−1900.
25. America Moves to the City 1865−1900.
26. The Great West and the Agricultural Revolution 1865−1896.
27. Empire and Expansion 1890−1909.
Part V: STRUGGLING FOR JUSTICE AT HOME AND ABROAD 1901−1945.
28. Progressivism and the Republican Roosevelt 1901−1912.
29. Wilsonian Progressivism in Peace and War 1913−1920.
30. American Life in the “Roaring Twenties” 1920−1929.
31. The Politics of Boom and Bust 1920−1932.
32. The Great Depression and the New Deal 1933−1939.
33. Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Shadow of War 1933−1941.
34. America in World War II 1941−1945.
Part VI: MAKING MODERN AMERICA 1945 TO THE PRESENT.
35. The Cold War Begins 1945−1952.
36. American Zenith 1952−1963.
37. The Stormy Sixties 1963−1973.
38. Challenges to the Postwar Order 1973−1980.
39. The Resurgence of Conservatism 1980−1992.
40. America Confronts the Post-Cold War Era, 1992−2000.
41. The American People Face a New Century, 2001−2014.