Introduction to Biotechnology
- AUTHOR: Ray V. Herren
- ISBN-13: 9781435498372
- Grade(s): 9 | 10 | 11 | 12
- 432 Pages Hardcover
- 2nd Edition | Previous Editions: 2005
- ©2013 Published
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
INTRODUCTION TO BIOTECHNOLOGY: AN AGRICULTURAL REVOLUTION offers a thorough introduction to biotechnology and the ways it has revolutionized modern agriculture. This newly updated text provides a solid grounding in core biotechnology concepts, as well as information on cutting-edge science and technology and their applications in real-world agriculture, medicine, and health care. The text's in-depth coverage includes essential topics such as cell functions, genetics, biotechnology applications, and biotech careers, as well as a thoughtful and balanced examination of controversial issues such as genetic engineering, genetically modified organisms, cloning, and potential dangers to humans and the environment. Building on the text's proven strengths, the Second Edition features a stronger emphasis on the science and math of biotechnology, updated content to reflect the latest trends and technology, and new lab exercises to reinforce key concepts and help students master the tools and techniques they will need to succeed in biotech careers.
1. The Phenomena of Biotechnology.
2. The Historical Development of Biotechnology.
3. The Principles of Scientific Research.
4. Cells: The Foundation of Life.
5. The Principles of Gene Transfer.
6. Producing Genetically Modified Organisms.
7. Animal Cloning.
8. Plant Cloning.
9. Biotechnology in Plant Science.
10. Biotechnology in Animal Reproduction.
11. Biotechnology in Medicine.
12. Biotechnology in the Food Industry.
13. Biotechnology in Ecology.
14. Consumer Concerns about Biotechnology.
15. Ethical Issues and Biotechnology.
16. Careers in Biotechnology.