Reading Matters 1
- AUTHOR: Mary Lee Wholey
- ISBN-13: 9780618475124
- 272 Pages Paperback
- 2nd Edition
- ©2007 Published
- Level(s): Beginning
- List Price = $ 49.95 | College Wholesale (Net) Price $37.25
- Prices are valid only in the respective region
Stimulating readings and a communicative, integrated-skills approach help students to develop fluency and accuracy in academic reading. Organized into thematic units, the readings feature high-interest, contemporary topics in fields such as culture, science, the environment, business, sports, and entertainment. Extensive practice exercises accompany the selections helping students to understand the purpose and nature of different texts, master vocabulary for academic and professional success, and learn how to access information in the media and on the Internet. The series also includes writing and speaking practice activities.
UNIT 1: Communication: Talking to Each Other
1. Reading Body Language
2. Communication Across Cultures
3. Leave Me a Message
UNIT 2: The Mysteries of Sleep
4. Sleep: How Much is Not Enough?
5. Sleep Problems
6. Why Do We Dream?
UNIT 3: Relationships
7. Is Dating Still the Same?
8. Learning to Live Together
UNIT 4: The Challenge of Sports Today
10. The Challenge of the Triathalon
11. Looking for Excitement
12. Training for the Olympics Today: What Does It Take?
UNIT 5: Technology for Today's World
13. Food for the Twenty-First Century
14. New Ways to Keep in Touch
15. The Internet Offers and Eye on Your World
UNIT 6: Leisure
16. Today's Workweek: Do We Need Time Out?
17. Entertainment Choices
18. Meeting at the Mall: America's Growing Leisure Activity